SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Social Anxiety Room (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pink pill for anxiety - does anyone know what this could be? (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=19633)

mimosa_the_madness_mouse 18th September 2007 19:52

Pink pill for anxiety - does anyone know what this could be?

Hi everyone,

Don't post here much now as I'm so busy with half-heartedly attempting to find a job, but got a bit of a burning question that I thought someone on here might be able to help me with. My friend mentioned a pink pill that she was given by her doc specifically for anxiety, which apparently works really well for her, and I wondered if anyone here has any suggestions of what it could be? Thanks for your help :smile2:

thephoenix 18th September 2007 20:01

Re: Pink pill for anxiety - does anyone know what this could be?

Humm sounds like 1mg Clonazepam? if so yes im sure it is very effective and no having to wait six weeks to feel okish, robotic, numb e.t.c. I could be wrong though?

fuz_2005 18th September 2007 20:33

That pink pill could be propananol which is a beta blocker that reduces the amount of adrenaline in the body. Some people with social anxiety use it.

caughtbythefuzz 18th September 2007 20:53

Propranol's a little pink pill.

mimosa_the_madness_mouse 18th September 2007 21:35

Aha, thanks very much everyone! So 2 options there, I'll have to tell my friend the names and see if they sound familiar. With regard to the propananol, I've never personally tried oral beta-blockers, though I do take eye drops with them in. Might suggest to my doc, though just from the eye drops I get really poor circulation, so I'm guessing it would get a lot worse with a double dose!

Dannysbabe 19th September 2007 00:58

I've got propanolol, but it didnt do anything for me either so I havent taken any for months. Guess I would need something somewhat stronger :frown2:

thephoenix 19th September 2007 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterCaster
Interestingly enough Snooker players take propanalol to steady their nerves. I've taken it myself and find it to be highly ineffective. Although it lead me have a kill/death ration on Counter Strike Source of about 65:4 once, my best score to date. Was headshotting people with scout without scope, panning out quickly enough to see them collapse as I blew their brains out. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry, its for CSS fans.

funny :d

mumoftwo 19th September 2007 12:51

Sounds like propanol (beta blockers) to me. I take them for particuarly stressful situations and I find them a great help. :)

Part Crab 20th September 2007 00:15

My doc told me that propranolol/beta blockers were for stopping the physical effects of anxiety, i.e. shaking, blushing etc, as apposed to actually making you feel better mentally...

Either way they did sod all for me :)

mimosa_the_madness_mouse 20th September 2007 00:20

oh right! Interesting to get such varied results, but I guess it's the same with a lot of psych medications, what works for one, definitely doesn't always work for another! My main physical symptom is extreme nausea and sickness feelings in my stomach, has anyone got any experience of beta-blockers relieving this in particular? I'm lucky in that I can control blushing, shaking, and even sweating to an extent, but it's the sickness that gets me, every time. :smile2:

Dannysbabe 20th September 2007 01:35

It depends what I'm worrying about mimosa. I was originally prescribed beta blockers for a flight to the US on holiday 18 years ago. They really didnt have a lot of effect, and I believe I needed something a lot stronger. I've never flown since as I was so terrified and thats another fear I desparately want to overcome as I'd like to visit sevral places abroad. :(

With something like flying which evokes the strongest fear I get shaking, pounding heart and feeling sick, this is what i want to beat to have a normal sort of life. I dont know if there is anything stronger that can be prescribed? Other than whacking me over the head with a frying pan to knock me out for about a day I dont know hwat else if anything would be effective? :(

mumoftwo 20th September 2007 13:22

Hi Dannysbabe

I've been given Diazapane (together with Beta Blockers) in the past for flying. They kinda take the edge of of it but I'm still convinced that I'm gona die! :headshake

I know what you mean about nausia Mimosa. i used to get an unpset stomach before class at uni. I found that beta blockers calm my heart rate so that my stress levels as reduced and therefore my stomach is better.

I've heard people talk about benzos but I've never tried them. That my be another alternative? Perhapes someone else knows more about them??

Hope that helps. :)

peaceseeker 20th September 2007 13:28

I've taken propranolol for about 2 years, it did nothing for my anxiety/feelings, but it helped a lot with things like sweating, palpitations, fast heartbeat, so I guess it will help with physical symptoms only. For things like sickness I'm not sure if they would have any effect, this sounds like mild panic/anxiety, which, in this case they probably would do nothing.

mimosa_the_madness_mouse 20th September 2007 15:57

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Dannysbabe - I too would recommend diazepam - though imo it does have a similar effect to being whacked over the head with a frying pan!

Mumoftwo - I used to get an upset stomach before classes at uni too! Glad you've found the beta blockers to be helpful to an extent!

Peaceseeker - well the particular symptoms of sickness that I get definitely have some physical basis (I could go into graphic detail, but I won't!) so I guess there could be something there, prob best just to try 'em and see what happens I suppose. I'll have a chat to my doctor and report back if I'm allowed to take them. :smile2: